Private Day Tour – Glendalough and Kilkenny City
A day tour experience uniquely designed by Desmond Tours
Tour Highlights & Focal Points
• Dublin City Highlights • Lough Tay / “the Guinness Lake” • Sally Gap • Wicklow Mountains and Lakes • Glendalough Monastic Site • Kilkenny City • Kilkenny Castle • Kyteler’s Inn • Kilkenny Design Centre • Dunmore Caves or Brownshill Dolmen
Enjoy a wonderful morning…
The starting location of this day tour is at your accommodation in Dublin, however, other pick-up points are also possible. Do send us an enquiry through our customised tour page to receive a unique offer, tailored to your needs.
You will be warmly welcomed by our friendly driver guide who will collect you from your Dublin location of choice. En route to Ireland’s south, we will begin our tour with a scenic drive passing Dublin’s highlights along the way. We will make our way to the beautiful Wicklow Mountains passing scenic spots such as Sally Gap and Lough Tay, also known as “the Guinness Lake“. Arriving at the monastic site of Glendalough, your guide will provide an interesting tour of the ancient roundtower, the historic graveyard and the serene Lower Lake area. This is an excellent photo opportunity not to be missed during your trip to Ireland!
Enjoy a beautiful drive through the stunning and serene Wicklow Mountains and head south to the medieval city of Kilkenny. We will arrive in this ancient city just in time for lunch at the famous Kyteler’s Inn. This is a fabulous inn that has a fascinating history related to witchcraft trials in this medieval city. After lunch, walk the Medieval Mile, a short stroll along the city’s most interesting sights. Another highlight of your Ireland trip awaits – enjoy a tour of the magnificent Kilkenny Castle. Conclude your day in Kilkenny by purchasing some local arts and craft gifts in the lovely Kilkenny Design Centre, just across from Kilkenny Castle.
A historic afternoon…
As we depart Kilkenny, two exciting options on your return to Dublin await. We can take a trip to the historic Dunmore Caves, located just 20 minutes north of Kilkenny. The caves are testimony to Ireland’s dark history: a slaughter between rival Viking families took place here and gold and bracelets were found in this cave. Your other option on the way to Dublin is a visit to Brownshill Dolmen, located in County Carlow. This dolmen is thought to be the heaviest of its kind in Europe and religious rites, such as human sacrifice, were performed at this interesting site in 2500 BC.
Your friendly driver will escort you to your location of choice in Dublin, where you are set to enjoy an overnight in Ireland’s bustling capital.
Day tour prices and included services
Our day tour prices are priced from €390 per day tour – please contact us for an exact quote as prices vary depending on group size, itinerary chosen and length of tour.
Unless otherwise agreed, your tour price includes the following:
- Fully customised itinerary designed with your touring needs in mind.
- Scheduled stops at must-see locations and at lesser known hidden gems – Ireland’s best kept secrets!
- Live commentary, information, interaction and entertainment by an experienced, Failte Ireland approved guide and fully qualified driver.
- A real progressive Irish tour experience that mixes present day with the past and helps you to create memories that will last a lifetime.
- Scheduled pick up at your arrival location and drop off on departure to suit your individual schedule.
- We will supply the vehicle plus all associated costs including fuel, tolls, insurance and car-parks – your own dedicated personal group vehicle for your tour only.
- Fine food specialties can be prepared on request for special occasions – this helps to create another memorable moment during your Ireland Vacation.
- Recommendations on reputable hotel/accommodation choices, local Irish pubs, recognised taste restaurants and fun activities. Additional activity bookings for your tour on request.
- Admission fees to attractions and additional tours may incur an additional fee.
- We know that organic tour changes can happen and if required, we will facilitate changes to include restaurant bookings and other schedule changes. This is your vacation and we want to ensure that it is an enjoyable and unique experience for you!
Booking this tour
We make the booking experience an easy and accessible one for you. We invite you to contact us today and we can check availability for your dates of choice and discuss all the details of your tour requirements. This helps us to design the best tour option and itinerary for you.
Day tour prices start from €390 per day of touring as outlined above. A deposit is specified at the time of enquiry and this secures your preferred date and tour driver. Once the deposit is received, a confirmation email is sent and the final payment for the tour will be due six weeks before the start date of your tour.